Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Owen for dinner/ Anne appears (in my dream)

Last night (Monday) Owen came by for dinner. I cooked while we hung out in the kitchen talking.I recounted to Owen my first cooking experience with Anne and her critical comments and doubts about my unusual combination of flavors. I basically told her to back off and reserve her comments for the finished product and not the process. It turned out great and she was thoroughly impressed but it was probably the only time she conceded to keep her criticisms to herself. Interestingly enough I was broiling salmon last night and as I was preparing to take it out of the broiler I heard Anne's voice say "turn the fish over and broil the other side" I was worried the fish was over cooked so I didn't turn it. We set the table including a place for Anne and began the meal. Sure enough the underside of the fish was uncooked. I told Owen what I heard Anne say and put the fish back into the broiler bottom side up. It was wonderful to spend that time with Owen. I could feel Ann's presence, her love for her son and her love for me for taking care of him. After he left I became busy with cleaning up and some unfinished paper work. Also spoke to Russel and Nancy. But the nights are the toughest and by bed time my heart was aching from missing her so. It only got worse through the night and was as bad a night as I have had except for the the first few days after she passed. It was a fitful sleep, waking a number of times but just before I was going to wake for the morning Anne appeared. We were standing in her kitchen. She was waring her bathrobe, her hair had grown in about an inch. She stood there with sparkling blues looking right into mine, a big smile and arms open wide. I through my arms around her and we just held one another. No words were spoken. No words were needed. My heart was filled. When I woke she was still there with me. My heart was light.
I have no doubt that she came to me to ease my heart and mind and to let me know that her love for me was still there. It was truly amazing grace. Thank you my Annie. It is a thin veil between this world and the the next. Love knows no boundaries.

It is not yet official but the memorial date will be changed from Sat. Nov. 3 to Sun. Nov. 4 .
We are also planning on having a memorial bench with Anne's name placed in Armstrong Woods.


Much love,

Dennis

2 comments:

Ruthann said...

Dear Dennis,

I am so comforted for you by your dream.

I sent a note off to you today before I read this blog. I send my love and my gratitude for you being in Anne's life.

Love,
Ruthann

Barbara Jaffe said...

Dear Dennis,

My heart grieves for you, and for Anne's parents and family during this heartbreaking time. Thank you for your brave and open reports of the physical and emotional events regarding Anne's battle of the last months. As you said, the more one loves, the deeper the pain when one's beloved departs. May your family, friends and work help you through this difficult time.

I do believe Anne was with you. And will be with you.

I send my deepest sympathy to you, and to all who loved Anne.

Barbara