Saturday, March 22, 2008

This time last year.

Easter has been on my mind a great deal as I recall the preparations Anne and I made for it this time last year. She had just come out of the hospital about a week or so. She was doing OK, weak but feeling good and oh so happy to be out of there and home again. We planned an Easter egg hunt in her backyard for Nick and Sofia Eater Sunday afternoon. Easter morning was spent at my house with the kids waking to the baskets delivered by ol' E B ( most of which came from Anne's easter stash in her storage shed). Anne was sequestered in Graton with Nancy hiding "treasure" filled eggs in the yard awaiting our arrival. I remember keenly the feel, taste,and fragrance of the air when we arrived in Graton. Anne was radiant wearing a wide brimmed deep pink sun hat. It fit beautifully over her hairless, shaven head and created the perfect backdrop for her sparking blue eyes and welcoming smile. The sun was warm and inviting. Anne and I sat in the yard while Nick and Sofia darted about. It was a very pleasurable moment some of which was captured in photos thanks to Nancy's quick thinking and throw away camera. The kids were having a great time. We all did. There was a brief moment of seriousity when Anne could not remember how many eggs were out there or where they were located ( a by product of her therapy called "chemo-brain"). It became an on going joke as we found hidden eggs here and there through the rest of the spring and into the summer. Last Easter is a memory that is enshrined in my heart. I can go there and feel the fullness of that day and the fullness of Anne. It makes me feel very fortunate. It enriches my spirit.
Anne has seen to it that this Easter will hold wonderful memories for me as well. First off my father is here visiting for three weeks. He arrived on my mother's birthday, March 16th, and leaves the day after their 68th wedding anniversary, April 7th. All of which to me is no coincidence. This morning (Saturday 3/22) Angela called to let me know that my house had been designated as the central meeting place for the Windquists, Sutters and of course Puorros with Nancy tossed in for good measure. The Windquists and Sutters were making pick ups and drop offs at SF airport with enough time in between for dinner. My house being just 3 blocks off the route to the airport made it the perfect place for all this to happen. What a beautiful surprise. What a gift. And, they were bringing dinner to boot. I felt Anne all over it and she certainly was very present for me. Everyone arrived around 6:00 Russell and Lucy first, I arrived with Nick and Sofia after picking them up from their mom's, my dad was there waiting, Nancy came with the food, Angela, Tally and Robert walked in with her, Owen showed up about 20 minutes later and Maxine about half hour after him. We ate, talked and laughed a lot, danced, hugged, and emersed ourselves in a swirling pool of joy.I know we all felt Anne. She was right there in the middle of it all. This memory will be joined with all the others that are marked only by the feelings they evoke. They are with out time.They do not fade. They are the true treasures of life of living and of loving.

Happy Easter to one and all,

Love,

Dennis (and Anne)

No comments: